self storage hints & tips
The following information outlines some tips and guidelines for storing your items and is designed to help you get the most out of moving into your Private Self Storage Space.
- Start with objects you know you definitely will not need and pack them at the rear of the space.
- Place large, solid items into the storage space first. You can stack small items, especially boxes, on top of large items.
- Stand long items on their side if possible.
- Use the space inside your wardrobe to stack boxes and bags.
- Use one side wall of the space to stack boxes only as high as possible.
- Leave the door of your fridge open. A small container of bi-card soda left inside also absorbs moisture and odours.
- Leave items that you want to access at the front of the space.
- Use mothballs or naphthalene flakes to protect cloth based items (blankets, clothing and linen, etc.) If possible, vacuum-sealing these items in bags is also highly recommended and will save even more space.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible, (such as fuel, paint and chemicals), or perishables (such as food that is not permanently sealed for long life).
- If you do store lawn mowers or motorbikes, etc please ensure that you empty the petrol tank. Follow the manufacturer's advice for storing these items - usually found in the handbook.
- Cover all furniture with 'dust sheets'.
- Store furniture carefully on boards or pallets.
- Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
- Larger appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators provide additional space for storing towels, blankets, etc inside them.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- When storing business files and inventory, label all boxes and construct aisles so files are easily seen and accessible
The use of Packing accessories such as Cartons, Porta Robes, Paper, Tape, Bubble-wrap and Plastic covers will maintain and protect your goods whilst in storage.