packing hints & tips
The following Packing Tips are designed to help you wrap, pack, box and store your goods ready for private self storage, so that they are stored in a safe and efficient manner. The more efficiently you can pack your self storage space, the smaller space you will require - and a smaller space will save you money!
- Start with the small stuff.
- Wrap precious items in protective products such as tissue paper or plain paper, and clearly mark all items FRAGILE.
- Tape your storage boxes up well. Heavy duty boxes are best for stacking.
- Do not overload the boxes, particularly large cartons.
- Pack the heavier items into small boxes.
- Break down items such as table legs, and store tabletops and sofas on end, to save space.
- Pack electronic equipment with bubble wrap to prevent movement.
- Avoid using newspaper to wrap as the ink can rub off. We recommend wrapping or plain paper.
- Large objects can be stored on their sides to save space, so remember to wrap them in protective covers.
- Defrost your fridge several hours before your move. This will avoid water damage and mould.
- Mark your boxes on their sides as well as tops. Tape a list of contents onto your boxes for easy retrieval of goods.
- Use furniture drawers for delicate items and specially wrap and label them as FRAGILE. Bubble wrap and packing paper are excellent for these purposes.
- When packing toys or smaller objects, remember to fill boxes completely, stuffing open areas with plain newspaper to prevent collapsing when stacked.
- Use a rubbish bin to store shovels, hoes and rakes or other tools
Use Corrugated Boxes. Use clean cartons designed for moving. Boxes obtained from grocery or liquor stores are not always clean, and they may not withstand the weight of the items that you'll be putting in them. Also, their odd sizes tend to make loading more difficult.