packing hints & tips
The following Packing Tips are designed to help you wrap, pack, box and store your goods ready for private self storage, so that they are stored in a safe and efficient manner. The more efficiently you can pack your self storage space, the smaller space you will require - and a smaller space will save you money!
- Start with the small stuff.
- Wrap precious items in protective products such as tissue paper or plain paper, and clearly mark all items FRAGILE.
- Tape your storage boxes up well. Heavy duty boxes are best for stacking.
- Do not overload the boxes, particularly large cartons.
- Pack the heavier items into small boxes.
- Break down items such as table legs, and store tabletops and sofas on end, to save space.
- Pack electronic equipment with bubble wrap to prevent movement.
- Avoid using newspaper to wrap as the ink can rub off. We recommend wrapping or plain paper.
- Large objects can be stored on their sides to save space, so remember to wrap them in protective covers.
- Defrost your fridge several hours before your move. This will avoid water damage and mould.
- Mark your boxes on their sides as well as tops. Tape a list of contents onto your boxes for easy retrieval of goods.
- Use furniture drawers for delicate items and specially wrap and label them as FRAGILE. Bubble wrap and packing paper are excellent for these purposes.
- When packing toys or smaller objects, remember to fill boxes completely, stuffing open areas with plain newspaper to prevent collapsing when stacked.
- Use a rubbish bin to store shovels, hoes and rakes or other tools
Try to completely fill all boxes - partially full or bulging cartons might tip or collapse. You can pack empty space with Butcher's Paper or extra linen to prevent collapsing when stacked.